Saturday, February 18, 2012

Phantom Menace 3D?

One of my rules for movie-watching (at least in the theaters) is that I go to see movies for the script, not the visuals or special effects. Good visuals and effects are a bonus; they don't make the movie for me. Every time I have broken my rule so far, I have been disappointed.

It may be that I haven't set my expectations low enough. Movies today are expensive to watch, and generally I want to get value for my money. Another of my rules is that if the movie doesn't work in 2D, why should I expect it to work in 3D?

I am tempted, however, to go see Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D on the theory that this time my expectations are indeed low enough. I mean, I watch the movie right now solely for the visuals: the script is just that bad! The only way I can watch it right now is to watch it in the context of the RPG and what I can take from it for that! (And then I do kinda enjoy it.)

Could this be the case where 3D actually improves the film? I suspect so. And everything I've read in the social media online from fans indicates that this is indeed the case. Sooo, is anyone else game to see it?

1 comment:

  1. Actually saw it last Sunday by myself. Thought to post about it, but only feel quick comment is needed.

    Yes, it did seem to actually improve the movie.

    The scenery popped: background details became very visible. (For instance, one can clearly see Quinlan Vos in the background in the Mos Espa marketplace.) And, believe it or not, 3D seemed to lend depth to the story itself (pun intended)

    Would watch it again in 3D. Even pay for it again, I think. Looking forward to Attack of the Clones in 3D -- and the rest. See it for yourself.

    ReplyDelete